Become a Team Leader
Owning a home provides a significant level of economic security as well as a place in which a child may study, a parent may set up a small business and a family can live a healthier life. Being a Team Leader was an incredibly rewarding experience.
Our International Volunteering Programme is an amazing opportunity to work alongside families in need of a decent place to call home.
Our Global Village volunteering programme invites you to join volunteers from around Ireland in fighting poverty housing. You will travel overseas and help a family to build a home, strengthen their community, and enrich both their lives and your own.
Some 1.6 billion people in our world live in inadequate housing. In homes made of scrap materials; a leaking plastic sheet tent; a rundown apartment block with no toilet or access to clean water. Every minute, 20 people die from conditions related to poverty housing.
You can help change this. Volunteer overseas as a Team Leader and help families build strength, stability, and self-reliance through shelter.
Have you got what it takes to become a Team Leader?
Habitat Ireland is looking for individuals to lead teams on Global Village builds. You will work alongside Habitat staff to ensure a successful Global Village experience. You and your team will build safe and decent homes with local families and community members.
We’re looking for people who:
– Have previous experience in a Developing Country
– Can commit in time and effort to team training and fundraising
– Are able to motivate and encourage team members
– Are aged 23+ (applicants under 23 may act as co-team leaders)
– Can demonstrate the ability to adapt to changing circumstances
– Are willing to learn and work with Habitat for Humanity to make the trip successful and memorable
Habitat for Humanity works in 70 countries worldwide. Habitat for Humanity Ireland’s strongest partnerships are with Zambia and Romania. In recent years, we have also sent teams to Malawi, Lesotho, Vietnam, Armenia, India, Nepal, and the Philippines.
Habitat for Humanity host trips all year round, making it easier for you to find one that suits!
– Make a real difference in the fight against poverty housing. In helping to build a house, you and your team can see a tangible result of your fundraising, plus you meet and work alongside the future Habitat homeowners
– Receive training in leadership skills
– Receive training in goal-setting, planning and budgeting during the fundraising stage
– Work with Habitat for Humanity Ireland and host country on in-country logistics
– Learn about Risk Management, Health & Safety and Emergency Procedures
– Learn about a new culture and the global issues relating to poverty housing
– Represent an International Organisation
How to apply: There are two ways to apply: either enquire about joining one of our scheduled/featured trips as Team Leader, or lead a group of your own with a tailor-made itinerary. No construction skills are necessary! There will be a skilled supervisor on site to teach you everything you need to know. Email Mary McGarry, International Programme Manager, to enquire about becoming a Team Leader.