Widows, Orphans, and Vulnerable Children in Zambia

-The HIV/AIDS pandemic has devastating effects. Currently 12% of Zambians are infected, with 11% of children under 18 having lost one or both parents.

Since 2007, Irish Aid has co-funded two 3-year phases of Habitat for Humanity’s Pamwesu project in Zambia. This project aims to promote equitable development and human rights amongst women, orphans and other children made vulnerable by HIV/AIDS in Zambia. In August 2016, a third 3-year phase of this project began.

Irish Aid’s generous support covers 70% of the Pamwesu project costs in Zambia. The remaining 30% is covered through donations from corporate and institutional donors, individuals, and Global Village Habitat volunteers travelling to Zambia. We are very grateful for the incredible generosity of our supporters.

Through this project, Emeldah Nyangu moved into her new Habitat home in Zambia in 2016. Read about how Emeldah partnered with Habitat to improve her living conditions here.


Objectives for 2016-2019:

To improve access to land and property rights by strengthening and empowering communities, especially women and vulnerable children, to participate in governance and advocate for their rights.

To mobilise community members and leaders and strengthen community responses to improve social perceptions, prevention and services for HIV/AIDS and gender based violence.

To strengthen the capacity of families to protect and care for orphans and vulnerable children affected by HIV/AIDS through access to housing, sanitation, and vocational training.


Achievements 2007-2015:

 456 homes built complete with sanitation facilities.

2,736 family members now have a safe place to call home.

15 water points erected serving 3,500 community members.

17,395 community members educated on HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care.

Read the independent evaluation of the 2012-2015 project here.


Endline Evaluation Report 2020


This project aligns with the SDG goal number 11 which speaks to the need for ensuring access to adequate, safe and affordable housing and basic services for all and to upgrade slums by 2030. Through this project we will be able to empower our citizens and increase their participation in advocacy for better services and accountability.

Kanyata Mukelabai, National Director, Habitat for Humanity Zambia

Thank you for your ongoing support – our work simply wouldn’t happen without you!

Irish Aid
Irish Aid

Every donation makes a difference